Saturday 26 January 2013

blogpost numero uno

So, welcome to my blog and my first blogpost (ever)!

The past few weeks I've been contemplating about starting this blog, but somehow never got round to actually doing it (a very common phenomenon in the world of Marike). It is now almost 4am on Saturday morning, I should be sleeping, but in my world great ideas and productivity only strike together in the wee hours of the morning.

I'm a 20 year old Actuarial Science student at the University of Stellenbosch. The past year and a bit I've been living in an apartment by myself and before that I shared a town house with two friends, so I've been having to look after myself food-wise for quite a while now. Initially I was very excited about moving out and finally being able to do/eat what I want, when I want (Coco Pops for dinner, anyone?), but after a few months inspiration deserted me and I decided to resort to a life of grilled cheese sandwiches.

About six months ago I started dating someone new (Chris) and he makes the best food. He is extremely inventive, original and just has a natural flare when it comes to cooking (and even baking). Suddenly inspiration struck again. I slowly started putting some thought into the meals I prepare and I'm not entirely horrible at cooking either, even if I have to say so myself.

I find cooking for one person to be quite a challenge. I've tried to cook "in bulk" and freezing the leftovers in portions, but I find the food loses some cardinal quality when it's spent a fortnight or two in the freezer. I've searched endlessly for (relatively) simple cooking-for-one recipes, but have to date not found what I am looking for and that is basically where the idea for this blog came from: I am writing the blog that I would have liked to find.

My sister (who has her own blog, threadpiece) suggested themes for my blog, something which I will explore as I get more comfortable with this whole blogging experience. I might do some "reviews" of restaurants and new food related products on the market in my area, who knows?




For now, I will leave you with a "teaser". This is a butter chicken type of dish (I love Indian food) with a summer side salad. Step-by-step recipe to follow soon :)



No comments:

Post a Comment