Thursday 14 February 2013

tortilla lasagne

It has been quite a while since my last post, but I had a Canadian intern staying with me and things have been hectic on the study and work front to say the least!

On Tuesday morning I discovered Pinterest. What an awesome place for food (and other) inspiration! I probably shouldn't have downloaded the app to my ipad though, since I'm now "pinning" and "following" while I should be listening to my lecturers. Amongst hundreds of other awesome recipes, I saw one for "Enchilada lasagne" and decided that it sounds like something I must try. I did not really look at the recipe, so the one that follows here (which I made yesterday afternoon) is what I interpreted from the title "Enchilada lasagne".




With these quantities the recipe will most likely feed two people (so much for "cooking for one", hey?). I saved some in the fridge and had it for lunch today, but I'm pretty sure it would be easy to just halve all of the ingredients.

Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.

Heat 20ml olive oil on medium high heat in a medium sized pot. Add one finely chopped shallot or pickling onion to the heated oil. Stir in half a teaspoon of chilli powder and fry until softened (3-4 minutes).

Add 300 grams of extra lean ground beef/beef mince. If the meat sticks to the bottom of the pot, add a few drops of oil extra. Add half a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper and brown meat.

Add half a can of tomato puree (approximately three quarters of a cup). Add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir and taste for salt content. Depending on your taste, add some more salt. I added another half a teaspoon. Stir in 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce.

Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid half on, half off, for 5-10 minutes. Stir thoroughly 2 or 3 times while simmering. 

Butter or spray a small pie or pasta bake dish. Cut tortillas so that they cover as much as possible of the bottom of the dish. The amount of tortillas you will use depends on the size of the tortillas and of the dish you are using. I used 2 medium tortillas. You can always use the leftover bits to make tortilla chips by deep frying them in some vegetable oil.

Spread the top of the tortilla pieces with cream cheese (I would have preferred to use plain cream cheese, but the shop was out of stock. I ended up using onion and chives flavour, it worked quite well). Layer the tortillas and meat sauce, starting and ending with tortilla. Mine had four layers of tortilla and three layers of meat. Make sure to spread the top tortilla with a thicker layer of cream cheese. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and paprika.

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with some chopped tomatoes and a nice, big dollop of sour cream. Yum!



In other news...happy Valentine's day! I'm off on some surprise date with the boyfriend now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment